Thursday, June 9, 2011

Evil Scheme Brownies



Amanda,

The pound cake is a great idea. It would look very summery with some fresh fruit around it as well. I can't wait to get strawberries!! I admit though, when I initially saw your latest post I thought they were savory, not sweet, sandwiches! I thought, what kind of meat IS that?! I blame lack of sleep.

If I were a baking supervillain, I would blackmail, bribe, and seduce my victims with these brownies. I think a chemical reaction occurs somewhere during the process and the cinnamon turns into crack. It's not the only explanation, but it is certainly apt. I like to use sea salt in them--the larger grains remind me of those wonderful Lindt sea salt chocolate bars. You get a crunch of salt at an unexpected moment, and it complements the sweetness perfectly. The texture is also ideal--balanced somewhere between too fluffy and too gooey.

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350, grease 13" by 9" pan. In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl combine melted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, combine with dry ingredients. Bake 25-30 minutes! YUM!



I also have a bread experiment to share. I nabbed this recipe via The Curvy Carrot because it was easy and I had all the ingredients on hand. I borrowed some loaf pans from the RLC and started kneading. I seriously love kneading. I also love the astonished faces of my dorm neighbors when they walk into the kitchen at midnight and see me hands deep in dough. The bread was very basic, but I paired it with homemade strawberry jam for a sweet snack and made an herb pork loin sandwich with it for lunch today.

Much love! (And seriously, come visit me at the end of June or anytime in July!)

Celia

1 comment:

  1. OMG, kids. I just found this via your mom's facebook! I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete