Sunday, June 19, 2011

Mint Oreo Truffles

Celia,

Gosh I have been bad at posting the last week. I have actually been baking, but just haven't had the chance to post - especially since our internet has been down twice. Grr.

Anyway, these are my super easy yet much-loved mint Oreo truffles. You have probably seen these as plain Oreo truffles, with white chocolate coating. These are pretty much the same idea, just minty! The basic idea behind this variety of truffle is that you take a package of Oreos or some other type of hard cookie and crush them into dust. Then you mix all that with a package of cream cheese, roll the dough into balls, and dip them in melted chocolate. I've seen it done with Nutter Butters, and I am sure it would work with other things.

That bowel is actually part of my new mortar and pestle.

I think I saw a blog post saying it could be done with Girl Scout Thin Mints, and the blogger said it would probably work with mint Oreos too. I should probably save these links when I see them. Anyway, I went out looking for mint Oreos and my stupid grocery store didn't have any! Instead, I bought some plain Oreos and some mint extract and made it work. I covered them in some melted mint chocolate disks, which I think really makes the mint-chocolate flavor work, and drizzled some melted mint chocolate chips on top (I can't find those chips outside of Christmas and I really like the lighter green color. I'm almost out of them and it will be bad when I am).
I am also very messy with the whole chocolate-covering thing!

The actual recipe:

Mint Oreo Truffles

1 package chocolate sandwich cookies
About 1 tsp. mint extract
1 8oz. package cream cheese
Mint-chocolate melting disks
Optional decorations

Crush the sandwich cookies, either in a food processor or by hand in a big Ziploc bag until they are about the consistency of wet sand. Mix in the cream cheese and the mint extract. Roll the dough into one-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet. I strongly recommend freezing or chilling the balls for about an hour. Melt the chocolate disks and dip the chilled dough balls into the melted chocolate. Decorate as desired. Enjoy!

I have another post that might be up sometime today. Love you!

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Someone brought these to this Christmas Eve past and ever since I have had this vague, nagging memory of dessert bliss that I couldn't put my finger on!!! It was these, only not mint, because mint makes me think of toothpaste. YAY! Thanks! Mystery solved. It was probably Barb...

    ReplyDelete