Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Sandwich Cookies of a Few Varieties

Celia,

That cake looks amazing! I wish I could try it. I recommend that pound cake that we made together last summer - perhaps at some point I will make it and post it. I can't take credit for it though - it's from a friend.

I recently found a recipe for Chocolate Chip Filled Melting Moments while wandering around the internet, and was intrigued. I almost didn't make them, because I am a snob and the blogger mentioned a certain author with whom I have some bones to pick. (Relevant to that fact, I am currently watching a far superior vampire narrative, Buffy. I am a nerd.) It also called for cake flour and I didn't have any. It always annoys me when I don't have a necessary ingredient - how could I not have something in my kitchen?

But I couldn't get them out of my head, so I picked up some cake flour and went at it. The first batch of cookies looked pretty much like the Erin Cooks' pictures, but were unexpectedly crunchy. They were a little hard to eat, what with the size and the squishing of the frosting.

The cookies have a long bake time, but I took the second batch out a little sooner and they were a little more "melting." I would recommend it. I also considered using the food processor to crunch up some chocolate chips, and I wish I had. I think the cookies would be tastier if the filling were a little less lumpy.

Also, please note that the first cookie pictures were taken with the lousy old camera and my horrible photography skills, and the next ones were taken with my awesome new camera and the same old lousy skills.

After I made them, I kept thinking about other things I could do with the cookie base. I couldn't sleep because my head was full of visions of sandwich cookies. For the next batch, I rolled out the dough and cut out the cookies so they would be a little smaller. I also baked them for maybe half the time or less. Then I filled them with a raspberry frosting that I made with a terribly sophisticated recipe: I threw some raspberries in the mixer with powdered sugar, a little vanilla, and powdered sugar, and mixed until it was tasty.

After I filled the cookies I dipped them in some melted chocolate and drizzled some white chocolate on top. The white chocolate is relatively easy to do but always impresses people - I fed the cookies to my coworkers and they were unreasonably impressed.

Either way, you are up to baking and I am excited to see what you make!

Love you,

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Oh, when I don't have cake flour I mix some cornstarch with regular flour. there are direction for it on the back of the cornstarch container.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought about that - I've seen that substitution. The recipe also calls for 3/4 cup of cornstarch though, so I thought if it were going to be that specific I should actually follow it. Now I have cake flour, which is a good excuse to make a cake that needs it.

    ReplyDelete